***WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FANTASTIC FEST 2019 SCREENING TEAM. ***
Each year, Fantastic Fest will accept applications for individuals to apply to be part of the submissions team. We are looking for talented people interested in learning about the film industry, helping curate a world-renowned film festival, and expanding their skill set by working closely with experienced programmers. We are especially interested in applications from under-represented sections of society. Some experience is preferred, but natural talent, passion for film and dedication are the most important qualities.
Details about the program:
This program is effectively a training process for those ready and willing to learn how to program a film festival. No training or specific education is required, and participants will have regular access to the head of the team for guidance. Participants will learn everything from typical festival programming processes to specific Fantastic Fest standards.
Every submitted resume will be checked by head of submissions and head of programming, followed by a shortlist who will be invited for online interviews. Depending on need, between 1-5 applicants will be accepted each year. The initial term for this program is one year with the potential to extend based on performance and availability.
Details about the position:
The screening team is typically 5-6 members strong, and primary responsibilities are:
- Watching submissions as assigned from Withoutabox and FilmFreeway
- Reviewing submissions based on the needs/values of the festival
- Helping with fest intros/blurbs at the festival as required
- Compensation structure based on performance and successful program completion
Screening team applicants will be selected at the beginning of each year. Submission screening process will start in early spring, with the majority of screening needed in May/June. A minimum screening of 50 features with written reviews will be expected, with potential to watch more films based on performance and interest.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be comfortable watching intense, R-rated material including: extreme violence, gore, nudity and sexuality, and psychological terror. This is a genre film festival so we see a broad range of purposefully "disturbing" or "triggering" material
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Above average writing and analytical skills a plus
- Knowledge of previous Fantastic Fest films also a plus
Sound like you? Email your resumé and cover letter to [email protected] and we'll be in touch!